General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Brinnie
Hiker
Hiker

Charity walk from Gutter Tor Car Park

Post by Brinnie »

Hello there,
I was letterboxing in the Ditsworthy area today collecting some word of mouth stamps. I met some people who were returning to their car after doing a charity walk in the area, they were thoroughly fed-up because the entire walk has been stolen.
If you have a walk that starts from Gutter Tor car park I suggest you contact the owner before setting out. All WOM boxes in the area were OK.
Brinnie
James&Jenny
Hiker
Hiker

Post by James&Jenny »

Hi Brinnie!

Thanks for the info. That sounds like the Udder Crowds' Portraits walk that we bought at the meet last week.

If it has truly been removed, words fail me :( :( :( :( :(

James

PS: Do you think we should contact the walk's owner and let them know?
326 stamps collected - lots more to go!
Brinnie
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Brinnie »

These people we met said it was a shelter walk. I expect they have contacted the owners already, but you could check if you are going to do it soon, I expect they will replace the stamps so everyone can do it later.
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

Brinnie wrote:These people we met said it was a shelter walk. I expect they have contacted the owners already, but you could check if you are going to do it soon, I expect they will replace the stamps so everyone can do it later.
It's a "Shelterbox" walk.
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)
Tina
moorland wizard
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by moorland wizard »

we got that one, nik said after the meet box number 5 was missing only hours after going on sale
ghostbusters&mountain
Hiker
Hiker

Post by ghostbusters&mountain »

I am so annoyed that this person or persons are taking CHARITY walks from dedicated walkers. Have they nothing better to do with their time than ruin everyone elses hobbies, what a sad existence they must have. :evil: :x :evil: :x
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

That definitely confirms it - The Dartmoor letterbox thief was at the meet.

And my views of GPS fixes also seem to run true - it takes you straight to the box therefore making searching time shorter and therefore less likely to be seen.

I maybe tempted to make a very loud comment at the next meet, it maybe a disgruntled letterboxer or someone who just dispises letterboxing on a grand scale.

Alol this person is going to do is make letterboxing what it used to be like - only word of mouth boxes being spread between a few people at a time basically making it go "underground" again.
All organisation will go out the window and the whole thing will probably be outlawed by the DNP in the end because of the complaints
Nik 245 to go
NanoRuler
Hiker
Hiker

Post by NanoRuler »

Is there a record of who bought the walk? If so, it'd narrow down the list of suspects massively to those that bought it before Nik found NR 5 missing.
Letterboxer, with occasionally 3 little helpers, aged 13, 12 and 8
moorland wizard
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by moorland wizard »

no record of who bought it. think they should take names but at the meet there were loads of people buying walks so it makes it very had to find out who.

it is rottern seing it is a charity
Dizzy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dizzy »

Sadly I cannot see the letterbox thief leaving their name and address, more so a fictitious one if asked. Any box or boxes that need to be made public cannot avoid the possibility of a letterboxing thief stealing them, so this is a chance we all have to take. Maybe as previously discussed reducing the grid references down to six figures might deter them a little bit, because it means more hassle to find the boxes.

So back to our traditional method of searching with a sighting compass.

Dizzy
Visit my website and please leave a message on my new Guestbook!
http://www.letterboxstamper.co.ukhttp://www.devonartist.co.uk
trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

Post by trekkernod »

Hi everyone, have just received an Email from one of the organisers of the Udder Crowd walk from Gutter Tor car park. Apparantly there are 3 boxes left, and they think the main attack on the boxes happened on the Tuesday afternoon after the meet. However, from what KOTM says, an earlier attack happened on the day of the meet.
I remember being told of a story years ago of a boxer who accidently thought that when collecting letterboxes you actually collected the whole box. This person was soon enlightened, and the letterboxes returned.
Nowadays though, our hobby is sharing the moor with geocachers, perhaps there is rivalry. Although I do believe it is blatant vandalism, by one or more people.
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Hi Noddy... I remember that incident though it happened just before I started boxing about the guy who collected the boxes....

Though I do believe it is not an individual but a group of people attacking the charity walks. Individual boxes in areas are not done by these idiots of that I am sure.
It is a shame but technically there is nothing much we can do about it. As for the Tuesday I wasn't anywhere near Dartmoor I have an alibi I was in a dentest in Chatham at the time watchng someone else suffer

Letterboxing will not be the same as it used to be (I refer to the boxing of the past 15 years or so) where it used to be fun and not frustrating.
Maybe someone is trying to get their 5000 by collecting the stamps as their proof and is too miserly to buy an ink pad and paper
Nik 245 to go
Brinnie
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Brinnie »

Hello Trekkernod,
What rivalry between letterboxers and cachers is this then? I have been a letterboxer for 15 years and a cacher for 4 years and I have never heard of any rivalry. There are many letterboxers who do collect caches at the time especially if they live off the moor.
There are a few caches in the Ditsworthy area I was the only visitor in the last few days.
Brinnie
trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

Post by trekkernod »

Hi Brinnie,
I was just trying to find reasons for the missing boxes. I did not say there actually WAS a rivalry between the two hobbies.
I have come across a cache once when in the Ingra Tor area and duly took a copy of the stamp without disturbing the other items in the box.
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
Jones family on tor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Jones family on tor »

hi all,
living away from Dartmoor we do a little geocaching as a substitute to letterboxing, nowhere near the challenge or as much fun, we have never heard of any rivalry in fact most geocachers have never heard of letterboxing but they also have problems with thieves only they call it being muggled.