Where to stay?

Where are the best hotels, guesthouses, and campsites?

Moderator: Moderators

TeamKing
Ambler
Ambler

Where to stay?

Post by TeamKing »

Can someone give some recommendations of places to stay where you can walk directly onto the moors to some good box areas? i.e. no driving involved

:)

Thanks!
moorland wizard
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by moorland wizard »

depends if you want luxury or not. if you look on here there are a few threads on places were to stop
TeamKing
Ambler
Ambler

Post by TeamKing »

Need the creature comforts. Not looking for camping or bunkhouse options. Just a nice place with rooms & food.

I'll dig around some more in the forums but didn't see a lot. . .
tomp
Site Admin

Post by tomp »

The Two Bridges Hotel always looks nice from the outside, although i've never been in. Hmm...it has some pretty dodgy reviews on tripadvisor.com (someone visiting last month said it was "gloomy and overpriced!"). Has anyone been to the Hunter's Lodge in Dartmeet? There's only one review on Tripadvisor, but it's pretty positive...
moorland wizard
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by moorland wizard »

I know there is a box near the two bridges.

It also depends on which part of the moor you want either north or south moor. Most pubs have rooms for the night/weekend or there is also a caravan park near widgey cross where we meet some people and they side it was alright. with a pub 100 meters away
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Plume of Feathers - Princetown
The Two Bridges Hotel is a bit pricey and you have to walk miles to find any boxes where as Princetown is within reasonably easy walking distance of Pew Tor (follow the track) and south to Fox Tor and around there (if you are quick enough you could even make it to Ducks Pool
Nik 245 to go
Jones family on tor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Jones family on tor »

Nik - KOTM wrote:Princetown is within reasonably easy walking distance of Pew Tor (follow the track) and south to Fox Tor and around there (if you are quick enough you could even make it to Ducks Pool
Hello Nik,
Sorry to pull you up as you obviously are much more Knowledgeable on Dartmoor than myself but is this not a little misleading? I think of the track as the old railway is it not the Dartmoor way footpath that leads to Pew Tor.
If I am incorrect please say so and I shall stand corrected
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

You are correct in your assumption the Railway track does not actually go to Pew Tor but it isn't all that far from it after all it is only a short hop across from there... and a plethera of boxes to be found up there too
Nik 245 to go
Generation Gap
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Generation Gap »

Hi, TeamKing

We stayed at The Forest Inn, Hexworthy, a couple of weeks ago. Posted a comment elsewhere on the forum, copied below:

"Hi, all!
The Forest Inn, Hexworthy - recommended to all; good food, good company, friendly staff, good value. Many thanks Mr Cock & Mrs Chicken for the info. (see you have been there a few times, by the letterbox book in the bar).

Maybe it's worth compiling a list of recommended (or not!) places on Dartmoor - hotels, B&Bs, pubs, camping, cafes, etc. together with prices. What do you think? "

Re. access to good letterbox area - we did a few grids to the south of the Inn, but didn't find too many. There are quite a few within a short driving distance.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Generation Gap
(Howard n Sue)
500+ - looking towards our 1000.
cranmere

Post by cranmere »

The Two Bridges used to be good before they got delusions of grandeur, did away with the pub and raised their prices. I haven't been back since they were extremely rude to us whilst fawning all over the group of suited businessmen, presumably because they thought they could get more money out of them.
Pat aka The Bristol Bogtrotter
Mr Cock & Mrs Chicken
Hiker
Hiker

Where to stay?

Post by Mr Cock & Mrs Chicken »

Agree wholeheartedly with the above two posts!
cranmere

Post by cranmere »

The Dartmoor Inn at Merrivale is pleasant, clean and serves good food. We tend to camp up at Princetown outside of the main tourist season (it gets pretty noisy sometimes if there are a lot of students and 'yoof' up there).

Pat
Blinch
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Blinch »

Hi,
Sorry - have been away for a long time.

We like the Beechwood, a B&B at Postbridge - good value and friendly and pretty central.
Bunnymummy
Trekker
Trekker

Post by Bunnymummy »

There is a good camp site on pork hill just under Cox Tor that looks good, and walking distance from the moor and the very good boxing location of Pew Tor.

Riverside camp site near Mary Tavy is good too thats if you like tenting it! I love it.

Fox & Hounds also have a bunk house I think?? near some very good boxing country (63 in one day with no clues!) them were the days :D
TeamKing
Ambler
Ambler

Post by TeamKing »

Just a follow-up on my initial post for anyone following this thread in the future. . .

Since I was looking for a decent hotel with ammenities, ended up trying the Moorland Links Hotel in Yelverton. Great location and easy to find. Can also walk from the hotel - can't report if any boxes are close as I didn't have a catalog on me, but there were nearby caches so I assume probably boxes not too far away.

Anyway, I liked this place and will probably use them again. Double room was 55/night but room size was like a US hotel size - good! - with private bath and TV and the usual hotel comforts (buffet breakfast, bar, room service, housekeeping, etc.)

They didn't even look at me too oddly when I walked in from a heavy rain filled boxing trek looking like some drowned pitiful creature and lugging my soggy backpack and gear. :)