Moving/Travelling Boxes

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

suzley
Hiker
Hiker
Location: All of us are in the gutter.....but some of us are looking at the stars.

Moving/Travelling Boxes

Post by suzley »

Hi All

Any idea how many moving boxes there are up on our sacred moor?

Stv
Dizzy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dizzy »

Hi Steve, I don't think all moving boxes are listed but in the catalogue there are around 300 moving boxes listed, weather or not all are still in existance remains to be seen as there isn't a way of keeping track of them without finders emailing the owners from time to time.

Dizzy
Visit my website and please leave a message on my new Guestbook!
http://www.letterboxstamper.co.ukhttp://www.devonartist.co.uk
suzley
Hiker
Hiker
Location: All of us are in the gutter.....but some of us are looking at the stars.

Re Travelling Boxes

Post by suzley »

Hi

Thanx Dizzy for the info. Have you come across many travelling boxes as we have only seen 3 or 4 in 20 years. They made very interesting reading seeing where they have travelled across the moor.

Stv
The Original Mail Pugilist
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Me thinks you meant moving boxes - I have three or four travellers on me whan I travel around - but I have not seen many moving boxes perhaps about 10 or so - I sent one out myself many years ago - I wandered lonely as a Cloud - Never seen it since - though it would be nice to see it again.
Nik 245 to go
The Lost Legionnaire
Hiker
Hiker

Post by The Lost Legionnaire »

I don't know if it is one of yours Nik, but I found 'Nik's moving box No4' on Brent Moor near the Avon Dam in late 2007.
"So I find myself among brave south western hills....................running like a madman on the moor"
Dizzy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Re Travelling Boxes

Post by Dizzy »

suzley wrote:Hi

Thanx Dizzy for the info. Have you come across many travelling boxes as we have only seen 3 or 4 in 20 years. They made very interesting reading seeing where they have travelled across the moor.

Stv
I havn't personally, to be honest with you over the 15 years or so that I've been letterboxing I've only come across maybe three moving boxes so far. I suppose we can all sometime find a moving box but may not know what it is. Sadly some may not be obvious i.e by the stamp design and info in the book (if still there).

Dizzy
Visit my website and please leave a message on my new Guestbook!
http://www.letterboxstamper.co.ukhttp://www.devonartist.co.uk
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

I found one early on but as Dizzy mentions didn't realise what it was at the time. I also found one last summer but as I wasn't totally positive, left it in the same box, just in case.
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)
Tina
NanoRuler
Hiker
Hiker

Post by NanoRuler »

I found an obvious tarveller quite recently - it was in a hybrid geocache, with instructions to move it to another geocache somewhere on Dartmoor, which I did.
Letterboxer, with occasionally 3 little helpers, aged 13, 12 and 8
Duckpool
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Duckpool »

I rehoused a smashing traveller recently; it had started in America, been all over before going on to Canada, and then over here for the Moor! Much travelled traveler! I hope it makes it home sometime.

Duckpool
MarkP
Ambler
Ambler

Post by MarkP »

I've got an American cuckoo (aka hitchhiker or moving box) that was sent for me to put on the moor. haven't had a chance yet (living 400 odd miles away doesn't help) and I'm wary of where to place it given the box thief. If anyone wants to place it in a safe spot, then pm me your address and I'll post it down.

Plenty of cuckoos in North Yorkshire, including a cuckoo nest where lots of the cuckoo stamps can be found and then moved on.