A site for you...

Issues regarding safety and links of interest

Moderator: Moderators

Dave.B
Ambler
Ambler

A site for you...

Post by Dave.B »

...it's actually mine, so this is a shameless plug for which I wholeheartedly apologise:

http://www.davebellamy.co.uk/indexTors.htm

It started off when someone asked me how many tors there are. I couldn't answer so I went away and researched - and ended up challenging myself to visit all of them. It's also a nice way to brush up on my web coding and database design.

The page initially shows what I believe to be a nearly complete list of tors and hills. If you click on each tor name, you get a smaller list of tors within 1km, and a photo if I've been there (if I haven't been there it defaults to a photo of the highest tor I've visited). There is a link to display a map, and a "details" link which shows you the 5 nearest car parks, amongst other things.

Anyway, it represents a lot of work on my behalf, please let me know if you find it useful, or if you have any ideas on how I can make it better.

BTW: I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I've found a total of four letterboxes, but I never really look for them to be honest - the last two I found were in plain sight, about a meter apart on Bell Tor.
I've lived in Devon all my life (30 years - where did that go?!) and have been stumbling around the moor for most of that.
Crafty Jo

Post by Crafty Jo »

Hi there Dave B. Welcome! Have had a quick look at your website -I really should be working!! But, it looks really good - tonight when I feel less guilty about browsing it I will have a good look. A complete list of Tors with photos would be great as a reference - so look forward to the date you complete your mission!! :lol:
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

Hi David.

Wow, what a great site. You certainly have worked hard. As Jo says, what a great reference. I know myself, in particular, really appreciate the car parks information and the 6 letter grid references.
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)
Tina
Dave.B
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Dave.B »

Thanks for the comments Jo and Tina - I'm glad you find it useful.
I'm always tinkering with it, so if there are any suggestions I'm open to them.
Cheers
Dave
panomobile
Hiker
Hiker

Post by panomobile »

Hi Dave

I like the thought that has gone into it like when you explain the database expressions for the Tor ratings. Also, I too appreciate the closest car park information.
Dave.B
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Dave.B »

panomobile wrote:...like when you explain the database expressions for the Tor ratings...
I only did that because I knew I would forget within a week or so! :lol:

The car park information was gleaned from 1:25,000 scale OS Maps of the moor, verified in Google Earth. I'm sure I have missed more than a few, but I'm still looking...

Glad you find it useful.
Cheers
Dave
John
Hiker
Hiker

Post by John »

Like the site. Well done!

Noticed from your home page the youtube volcano/dinosaur - very funny :)
Also noticed you are running Linux - very well done for that!

John (a Fedora user).
dads army
Ambler
Ambler

Post by dads army »

:D Great site Dave, keep up the good work ,very helpful and interesting.
DON`T GIVE THEM YOUR NAME PIKE!!!
Dave.B
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Dave.B »

Cheers for the feedback John and Dad's Army.

I noticed from a few other threads that more car parking information would be good, so I've been fiddling with Google Maps today, let me know what you think:

http://www.davebellamy.co.uk/indexTors.htm

That's the same link as above, but there is a new "Car Parks" link on the left now. Click the markers to identify, then follow the link in the yellow marker window.
Cheers
Dave
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

Had a quick look - that's really helpful. Thank you.
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)
Tina
John
Hiker
Hiker

Post by John »

Interesting. So it's possible to drive up to Dinger Tor? (It says 10 spaces).

John.
Dave.B
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Dave.B »

Possible yes, but not having been there yet I'll give no guarantees about what sort of car will get there. It's probably only for Land Rovers and that. I won't be taking my Beemer up there that's for sure!

Almost every other Car Park shows normal cars in it when viewed in Google Earth.