General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Mooncat
Drifter
Drifter

Hello!

Post by Mooncat »

Hello!

I just wanted to say hello to everyone. :)

I am hoping to get into letterboxing with my partner and son, who is 5. I have read lots of the threads on here and picked up loads of tips and advice on places to visit and what to look for.Its been really helpful, and answered most of my questions.....

My partner works away and his days off are few and far between, and he also has the car, :( which limits our ability to travel freely. I was wondering if anyone could suggest any areas my son and I could go to have a poke around, that would give us some results and that are accessible by bus from Plymouth?!

We can save the trips further afield for when the other half is around, but would like to make the most of any decent weather we have in the mean time...while it lasts! :lol:

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Kind regards,

Mooncat
foxy
Trekker
Trekker

Post by foxy »

Hi Mooncat,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help with any boxing questions though - the few I have found I've literally fallen over while running!

I'm sure there will be plenty of advice when they get back off the moor!

Foxy
Trufflebuggy&Co
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Trufflebuggy&Co »

Hiya

Although it is slightly further a field if you head towards Okehampton on the 86 First bus you can get off at either the Dartmoor Inn at Lydford or just along the road abit at the Fox and hounds from either of these you can walk up to Bray Tor (Widgery Cross), Arms Tor. Although easier to cross river going up from Dartmoor Inn, there are boxes along the river heading up and down stream on the moor side of the river.

Its steep going up Bray Tor to the cross, depends if your 5 yr old likes a hike or not. There are some charity walks in the area.

I think however that at the end of the month the 86 ends at Tavistock with a different firm then continuing to Okehampton etc....

Hope this helps

Steph
Stephanie, Grenville, James and little Fiona
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Hi Mooncat - welcome to you and your 5 year old son. I really hope you are a frequent visitor to the forum from here on in.
I see you are like a huge number of people who started boxing, by having to rely upon the bus. I have been there myself, the advice given above is spot on...

Feel free to post anything you like on here (within reason of course) though a five year old will limit your options for a while but I would suggest Brat Tor is for a year or twos time when he is a bit stronger as it says it is a killer climb.
Nik 245 to go
green sleeves
Ambler
Ambler

welcome

Post by green sleeves »

Hi mooncat welcome to you and your five year old son hope you both havee fun letterboxing. You will be a bit limited to where you box as you dont want to wear the little one out now. :)
trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

Post by trekkernod »

Hi Mooncat,
There are alot of places accessible by bus to go letterboxing. As I don't drive, I always letterbox using public transport.
To get to Shaugh Moor & Collard Tor catch the City Bus service 58/59 to Shaugh Prior. It also visits Shaugh Bridge where there are a few boxes.
Roborough Down - service 83/84/86
Princetown Railway area - catch 83/84/86 to Yelverton then catch service Devon & Cornwall coaches (DAC) No.98 to Princetown (07.30am or 09:35am). The 09:35 service also goes to Bellever but it is limited to only one return journey per day. It also goes on to Tavistock along B3357, so you have accress to Barn Hill/Feather Tor/Pew Tor/Cox Tor etc.
Also from Yelverton there are buses that go to Meavy which would involve a short walk up to Ringmoor Down.
Weekends you have the X82 which goes across the middle of the moor to Exeter. I may also suggest that you get a selection of timetables from the relevant bus companies or go online and download them.
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
Mooncat
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Mooncat »

Hi!

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and for all the advice, its great to know there are plenty of places to visit when we are car-less. Thanks for all the info Trekkernod, its much appreciated :D.

TOH is actually home this weekend, so we are all planning to head towards Feather Tor/Pew Tor on Saturday afternoon. It will be quite interesting to see how the little legs get on.....I will let you know!

Keeping my fingers crossed for a dry day too!

Mooncat :D
panomobile
Hiker
Hiker

Post by panomobile »

Welcome Mooncat. Good choice of location for your first letterboxing session, particularly Pew Tor :wink:
Mooncat
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Mooncat »

Hello again!

My plans for a lovely first afternoon letterboxing were destroyed on Thurs as I was reminded that work had booked me on a Health and Safety course today :x It killed me to sit in a classroom, listening to H & S drivel, while the sky was blue and the sun was shining - it would have been the perfect day for it.....

However, I won't dwell on it too much! Little legs and I are doing a 5 mile sponsored walk around Saltram tomorrow, to raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, (he has been an insulin dependant diabetic since he was 22 months old and this charity fund research into finding a cure, so a very worthwhile cause in our opinion). Its not quite Dartmoor, and I don't fancy our chances of finding any letter boxes :wink: but it will be a good chance to judge both of our fitness levels, ensuring we don't overstretch ourselves when we do get onto the moor. Plus the charity gets the £500+ we have raised in sponsorship :P

I am planning to spend a day on the moor next weekend, so it looks like I will be spending the next 7 days with fingers crossed again, praying for beautiful weather!!

Wishing you all a successful days hunting tomorrow...

Mooncat :D
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

Good luck with the sponsored walk and congratulations on raising £500.00 for such a worthy cause.
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)
Tina
Mooncat
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Mooncat »

Thank you Fulchet!

We had a thoroughly enjoyable day and I feel more confident about going out looking for boxes next weekend, knowing what we are currently capable of :D
NanoRuler
Hiker
Hiker

Post by NanoRuler »

Hi Mooncat, and welcome!

I go boxing with my three and my youngest is now 5 1/2, so I know how difficult it can be.
I used to try and get onto the moor by myself at every available opportunity, then run about like a mad hare trying to find boxes and noting their location. Then when I took my kids out letterboxing I could gently steer them into certain directions, so they could "find" the boxes all by themselves!
It does get better when you get a catalogue and you can plan your journeys far better, too.
Can I suggest you try to get to the autumn meet and purchase some charity walks? That way at least you can get good clues to many boxes. Also, some charity walks are quite easy, making it easier on your 5 year old.

Good luck!
Letterboxer, with occasionally 3 little helpers, aged 13, 12 and 8
MagicHarry
Hiker
Hiker

Post by MagicHarry »

Hi - I just thought I'd share my Carless (that's Car Less not careless) trip to Dartmoor...............I live in Reading and caught the National Express Coach (501) down to Exeter. As it was a Sunday caught the 82 from Exeter Coach station, which dropped us at Two Bridges. Walked for about 3 miles to Hexworthy and stayed at the forest Inn for 3 nights (great place by the way!).
Journey took approx 7 hours - but was worth it, just to be in Dartmoor again!!
Hexworthy was a great location for trekking to Child's Tombe, Fox Tor, loads of spooky crosses along the way. Also followed the Swincombe River (I think that's spelt right?), which joins the Dartmoor Way. Straying away from the "footpaths" was pretty dicey as this area was very marshy! broke my hiking stick within about the first hour!...
Planning to go back in May, but steering clear of the bogs!
It was so good not to have a car!!
Magic Harry
Duckpool
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Duckpool »

Yes, I've tried following the Swincombe up from the reservoir towards Whiteworks, but it doesn't really work! At least I've never managed it; up and over the tops seems to be the only way (unless you've got very high boots).

Duckpool
Mooncat
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Mooncat »

Hi Nanoruler!

Thanks for the welcome, and the suggestion of coming to the meet to pick up some charity walks. I wasn't sure if it was open to all, or just those who were already members of or were joining the 100 club. I will try to come along though. We will also try our best to get the 100 stamps as quickly as possible as a catalogue would be great!

Don't think we will manage it for this time, but hopefully for the spring meet.... :D