Letterboxing by bus

Issues regarding safety and links of interest

Moderator: Moderators

trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

Letterboxing by bus

Post by trekkernod »

I don't know how many of you use Public Transport to access Dartmoor for letterboxing trips, but be warned, the axe is falling on several services.
The No.48 - Burrator bus on Sundays & Bank Holidays is being completely withdrawn. The No.98 Yelverton to Princetown & Tavistock is being reduced. A lot of the other services are being withdrawn and merged.
This is going to make getting to some of my favoured parts of Dartmoor difficult. I am awaiting the 'New' timetables to see where I can get to.
Looks like I will have to have longer trips and camp out.
I remember the days coming home from Burrator on the No.48 and there would be several people swapping 'Travellers' on the upper deck. Them was the days!
More cars on Dartmoor!
Below is the list from Devon Council

Changes to local bus services - West Devon

- From Monday 11th April 2011 -

From 11th April there will be a number of changes and reductions to bus services financially supported by Devon County Council. The main changes in the West Devon area are as follows:

Service Summary of changes

X9 Bude - Holsworthy - Okehampton - Exeter
The 1730 Bude - Exeter and 2030 Exeter - Bude Friday and Saturday journeys are withdrawn. The 1730 Bude - Holsworthy will now operate Monday - Saturday.

48 Wembury - Plymouth - Burrator
The Sunday service is withdrawn.

55 Yelverton - Milton Combe Circular
Reduced timetable, with school journeys withdrawn. New timetable available shortly.

56 Yelverton - Dousland Circular
Reduced timetable, with school and work time journeys withdrawn. New timetable available shortly.

56Sch Horrabridge - Walkhampton
Service withdrawn.

83D Tavistock - Plymouth
The 0545 Tavistock - Plymouth service 83D will now operate as service 86, leaving Tavistock at 0555 and will not serve Devonport.

85 Tavistock - Yelverton/GreenlandsReplaced by revised Service 98. New timetable available shortly.

87 Tavistock - Bere Alston - Bere Ferrers
Friday and Saturday evening journeys withdrawn.

97 Buckland Monachorum - Tavistock
Replaced by revised service 55. New timetable available shortly.

98 Tavistock - Princetown - Yelverton
Reduced timetable. New timetable available shortly.

118 Barnstaple - Okehampton - Tavistock
The 1850 Tavistock - Barnstaple and 1930 Barnstaple - Tavistock journeys are withdrawn. The 0635 Tavistock - Barnstaple journey now starts at Okehampton at 0711. New timetable available shortly.

178/179 Newton Abbot - Moretonhampstead - Okehampton
These services will now be operated by Dartline with a reduced timetable. New timetable available shortly.

F12 Fare Car F12
Reduced to operate one journey per day on Tuesday and Friday. Exbourne and Jacobstowe are no longer served.

F16 Fare Car F16
Service withdrawn.
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Sucks doesn't it? All hail the petrodollar, it seems we are all being brow beaten by the price of oil and the greed of those involved, true the bus route was heavily subsidised by the other routes, but it is still essential.

Time for protest perhaps?
Nik 245 to go
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

Letterboxing by bus

Post by The Wandering Artist »

Hi Noddy
I cannot for the life of me imagine how I would go about letterboxing using only public transport!. I f that is what you do then you have all my admiration. I can well appreciate the predicament such bus cancellations would mean to you, but even more so to the rural villages and townships. Not everyone has a car or private means of transport.

Many years ago, back in the '60's & 70's we struggled to get around without a car and a young family - but at least the PT was good and reliable (ha! - better to some degree compared to today)

Recently we have experienced on our 28 a and 28b runs that they have just not turned up!

So much for the pre take over 'twaddle' given out by the now new bus company!

TWA
trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

Post by trekkernod »

Hi Wandering Artist,

Yes the majority of my letterboxing is done by bus. There have been a few occasions in the past when I have letterboxed with friends who drove to the moor, but it's very rare that I do so now.
The withdrawal of some of the bus routes will make getting to and from the moor a lot harder.
There are already alot of areas that I can't get to and home from in the same day, so more camping, heavier rucksack, less distance covered. More time on the moor. Result.
I was chatting to a couple of 'old girls' at Yelverton bus stop, and they were quite concerned about the buses to and from their village. Quite upset they were. Even the school buses are at risk, and no-one has the common sense to divert public services for two trips a day to accommodate the children. Our public transport services are very poor!!!!
We're told to go green, car share to save fuel etc; and now people have to use their cars alot more because of the lack of buses.
Since this 'free' bus travel' for senior citizens, my fares have gone up by about 50p to 70p.
That'll do for my moan for today.
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Are there any letterboxers who live near you who could give you alift to an area they are passing through and then pick you up again on the way back???? Might be an idea to ask around at the Meet. You live Plymouth way, so unfortunately I wouldn't be much help.
trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

Post by trekkernod »

Hi Sowerby Streaker,
Yes there are loads of letterboxers in Plymouth, and I'm sure a few would offer lifts.
Once I get used to the new timetables, I'm sure I will adapt my letterboxing habit to suit.
I have been meaning to 'wild camp' on Dartmoor a bit more, and this may encourage me. It's just the extra kit I will have to carry. It's not like you can leave your tent up somewhere for the day on the open moor go off boxing. We used to in the eighties, but I don't know if I would risk leaving it unattended for the day now.
The Burrator bus was a handy service, especially on Bank Holidays. You could get on the moor Friday or Saturday, camp out for a couple of nights and make your way to the reservoir to get home on the Monday.
Good times.
We'll see how it goes when the new timetables start.
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

Not so bad after all

Post by trekkernod »

Hi
Having seen the revised timetables for the buses to and from Dartmoor, it seems I was shouting before I was hurt.
Most of the buses, at the times I like to catch them are OK. It seems the mid afternoon, and less used services are affected.
Some services have been combined to make them more efficient.
My biggest annoyance is the complete withdrawal of the Sunday Burrator Bus.
This is a handy service to get to the tors around the reservoir, but alas it has to go, due to lack of use.
The nearest I can get to Burrator on a Sunday, after 10/04/11 is the Service 82, and get off at Yennadon Cross. There is no 'official' bus stop there. I wonder if I approach Devon County Council, they'll put a bus stop there to access Burrator Reservoir.
The villages like Meavy, Milton Combe, Buckland Monochorum ect have lost services, essential to some of the villagers.
In memory of the 'Last Bus From Burrator' on 10th April 2010, I have had 2 stamps made. One will be hidden near the start of the last journey. The other one will be travelling on the bus with me and available only on the day from me around the area or on the bus.
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
green sleeves
Ambler
Ambler

Hi

Post by green sleeves »

I take my hat off to you travelling to Dartmoor by bus you are a complete inspriration shame some of the services have been cut, making it more difficult for you. :cry: best of luck happy boxing :?
trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

Post by trekkernod »

Hi,
There seems to be a bit of confusion over which day the last bus will run from Burrator Reservoir.
Devon CC say 10th April. First's web site timetables say 3rd March.
I am awaiting a reply from Devon CC for absolute confirmation.
So in the meantime, we will assume it is 10th April.
Devon CC has sent my request, for a bus stop at Yennadon Cross, to the Transport department.
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

Post by trekkernod »

Hello everyone,

Only one person waited at the bus stop this morning to catch me with my special stamp. Thank you Sandra!
So that was the end of the Service No.48 from Plymouth to Burrator.
As it happens, I was the last person, to buy a ticket on the last trip from Burrator. Just me on the trip home. Aaah.
Quite unexpected, as there were loads of bus enthusiasts on the trip going out. They must have caught an earlier bus back. One chap had all the early timetables with him.
The sited box will remain out until I have cause to visit the Burrator area again.
I'm going to have to make a stamp out of the ticket.
Here ends this saga.
Noddy
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Shame they never put a "travelling" stamp on the bus - spose no one ever thought of it
Nik 245 to go
trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

Servie No48

Post by trekkernod »

Good news.
The First Bus Service No.48 is running again to Burrator Reservoir on Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
Tamerton Chocolates
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Tamerton Chocolates »

Interesting thread I hadn't read before on this forum. What happened to your bus ticket stamp?

Luckily Burrator is only a 10 minute drive for me .. taking wet labradors stinking of badgerpoo on a bus would be a bit difficult I think ;)

Do you still use the bus service? I was walking the dog on Down Tor earlier this week and I noticed you stamped several boxes very recently.
trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

Post by trekkernod »

Hi Tamerton Chocolates.
I never had the 'Bus Ticket' stamp made, just the 2 stamps for the Last Bus From Burrator. I have removed the one that was near to the terminus, and the traveller is discontinued.

Yes I was around Burrator & Down Tor on 5th May. The Bus service has been re-instated.

The Transmoor Link, that used to run from Plymouth to Exeter via Moretonhampstead during the summer, has been reintroduced with a timetable that is, in my opinion, pointless.
Plymouth has withdrawn its finacial support. So the bus runs from Exeter to Tavistock, across the moor via Princetown & Yelverton. The earliest bus I could catch, to reach the parts of the moor that there is no winter service for, is at 13:30pm.
There is only one complete journey to and from Exeter each day the bus runs.
A waste of time.
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Have to agree with you there Noddy. We need to pressurise the bus companies to make it worth bussing it out to the moors...

Sort of reminded me of a bus service that went to a village with no shops, with one bus on the Monday and the other on the Thursday, and no returns
Nik 245 to go