gps or map?

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

does using a gps ruin the fun of letterboxing?

yes
45%
no
55%

Total votes: 20

Boo Boxers

Post by Boo Boxers »

We don't have gps system and at the moment, couldn't afford one either!

One thing we love about Dartmoor, the one thing that attracted us to it really, was it's wilderness. We get a great buzz out of guiding ourselves around without the aid of electronics - our skills (such as they are) against the wilderness I suppose. The problem we've ever had was getting separated in a snow storm at Bellever, we both knew where we were and which direction to go - we just couldn't find each other!

Each to their own I suppose but I prefer more primitive methods, but then, maybe i'm just a tiny bit envyous as we don't have gps!
www.4x4prejudice.com

676 found only 324 to go!
StannyD
Hiker
Hiker

Post by StannyD »

I have to admit I love my gps. I use the map and compass to try and locate a box from the clues (usually unsuccessfully!) and the gps gives me a very precise reference for my stamp records. I have found this really useful when returning to an area as I can quickly identify whether I've found a box before or not.
The biggest reason I love the gps though is that it will always get me back to my car! When the weather changes and landmarks become tough to spot that is really handy ( especally as my mapreading skills are not too hot :oops: )
So really a combination of the two is what does it for me. I could probably manage without one or the other but as my old dad used to say, "if it aint broke, don't fix it!"
Grand High Grockle of the Venerable Order
cranmere

Post by cranmere »

I navigate the old-fashioned way with map and compass but the GPS is nice as a back-up. It's also useful when the person setting out letterboxes clearly has no idea how to take an accurate bearing, at least if they give a GPS reference you have some chance of finding the box. The Scouts and Guides are amongst the worst for giving accurate bearings and I won't even attempt their walks unless they give GPS references.
Pat aka The Bristol Bogtrotter
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

GPS - good or bad?

Post by Fulchet »

I haven't bought a GPS yet. However, I am considering getting one just for safety reasons - in case I get stuck in thick mist. This happened to me once, when the boys were young. It caught me unawares. I knew I had three roads around me so just followed the compass in one direction until I found one of the roads, then walked back to the car that way. However, if I had GPS, maybe I would have landed on the right road (I think I landed on the one south, instead of north). It was a little scary at the time, but quite amusing when I think back - like the time I thought I'd cross a small river and landed flat on my back ... lol.

Just started letterboxing again after a two year break - I went out a few times, back then, but really haven't been out properly in about 8 years. Decided need to get fit, and what better way than going out on Dartmoor. The plan is, one day each weekend, from now on ... fingers crossed. I would like to get more adventurous so GPS could help me back to the car if I lose my way a little. I'm not the best at using a compass and map. However, I probably wouldn't use it to find the actual boxes, even though I am absolutely hopeless at finding them. I just like the fun of walking and hunting. Any boxes I find are always a bonus.
Dizzy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dizzy »

I agree with what you say Fulchet. It's always worth practicing with a compass and map though, so you feel confident in using them. GPS's are good things, bit of a you know what if the batteries go though! :shock:

I'm sure one of us including myself are willing to meet you up there during the Spring, to give you some pointers. Bit iffy this time of the year but then again excellent practice in all this fog and rain!

Dizzy
Visit my website and please leave a message on my new Guestbook!
http://www.letterboxstamper.co.ukhttp://www.devonartist.co.uk
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

compass

Post by Fulchet »

thanks Dizzy
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

which GPS model?

Post by Fulchet »

Can anyone recommend which GPS model would be best to get please?

Many thanks in advance

Tina
The Lost Legionnaire
Hiker
Hiker

Post by The Lost Legionnaire »

I bought a Garmin etrex last summer for £90. It's a 'no frills' GPS but does the job. It's a bit bulky (110mm X 50mm X 25mm) but does what you need..............and loads that you maybe don't. You may be able to buy one for less if you look around.
"So I find myself among brave south western hills....................running like a madman on the moor"
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

GPS

Post by Fulchet »

thanks for that - I'll have a look

Tina :D