General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

The Intrepid Explorers
Drifter
Drifter

Help and advice to get the ball rolling

Post by The Intrepid Explorers »

Hi,

I have three daughters, (ages 9, 6, and 8 months) the two older ones are at that age when they just love to go camping and I have got them into camping in and around Dartmoor.

When I was their age I used to love letterboxing but have been away from it for a long time.

I really want to get my daughters into it but am stuck for how best to get started....?? Don't want to go blindly looking as am afraid they may lose interest. Is there a good book to get or can anyone advise how best to get off and running?

Any pointers would be much appreciated....
Colin
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Colin »

Hi
You could start with buying the catalogue http://www.letterboxingondartmoor.co.uk/ Also there is lots of really useful info in the threads in this forum.

Hope this helps

Colin
Everyone has a photographic memory. My problem is I don't have any film.

www.colin-masters.com
UniS
Hiker
Hiker

Post by UniS »

Have a root about teh forum for "charity Walks" , buy one or two in areas you would like to go for a walk.

Go for the charity walk and find the 10 or more boxes the walk has clues for, BUT keep your eyes open for more boxes.

Belstone Village Hall walk is good for this, also the Walk on the wild side being sold to fund raise for a leukemia charity.

Boxing this way works well with our 5 yr old. a decent mix of walk and hunting in a defined area.
Wheres it to ?
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

My advice would be bribery! I used to bribe my kids at 10p per box, but the rules have to be when you find a box you stay where it is until it is stamped and returned to its resting place.
Nik 245 to go
The Intrepid Explorers
Drifter
Drifter

Post by The Intrepid Explorers »

Thanks to all the replies. I think I will use a combination of all, particularly like the idea of the charity walks (and the bribery).

Am pleasantly surprised at how many replies and advice I got!!! :D
brinbunny
Ambler
Ambler

Post by brinbunny »

We like to just hunt out boxes then check the catalouge to see if it is registered. Belstone alone gave us 30 boxes last weekend. I have a GPS but I am a gadget nut, I try not to use it.

Tim (13yrs old) and I rove around and when a box is found we call out 'whoop whoop' for the other to come over and we do the stamping.

I thought with a teenager he would get bored quickly and want to head back to the TV but he is begging me to drive to Dartmoor most weekends at the moment.

There is nothing like looking under a rock and seeing a little plastic pot, that alone should spark the bug in your daughters, if not there are some people who put out series of boxes (in the catalouge) for which we have our favourites, Tim loves the 'Personalites' series and I love 'Stephanies Dragons'

We also allocate points for 1st box of the day, best box of the day, and other random categories which is also a bit of fun but we tend to lose count by 11am LOL
________
Xtremeblonde