Best place to take kids

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

skids21
Ambler
Ambler

Best place to take kids

Post by skids21 »

Hi all got my 2 neices goimg down this weekend and ive promised to take them out boxing.Is there anywhere i should go to where they will deffinetly find some boxes that isnt to difficult to walk to??
Any help would be great.
whoisthechallenger
Trekker
Trekker

Post by whoisthechallenger »

This question is one of the most frequently asked on this forum, and I don't think we can add too much more to previous answers. Search via the green icon above if needs be for past advice.

Reading (as I did) through your previous posts, you are well aware of some of the more popular spots. Brat Tor, and Pew Tor for example.

Two things to remember:
1. In this day and age, what with the letterbox thief, no-one can guarantee to find letterboxes. Not close to roads, and not without clues.

2. I don't know how old your nieces are, but never underestimate the energy, endurance and enthusiasm of kids (not to mention the healing power of ice cream). Perhaps a slightly longer walk will uncover more boxes and adventure. The Staple Tors, or Great Mis Tor perhaps... With a high point to aim for, could give the letterbox walk some purpose.
A Dartmoor Letterboxing blog:
www.who-is-the-challenger.blogspot.com
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Bonehill Rocks - there ae loads of kids boxes around there domething I call a training ground - then if they really get the bug then another day go to Pew Tor
Nik 245 to go
brinbunny
Ambler
Ambler

Post by brinbunny »

I would recommend Belstone - There is a charity walk and if done on a sunday there are cream teas in the village hall in the afternoon
The Basingstoke letterboxers - Tim and Ruth WE GOT 100 BOXES - WHOOP WHOOP - onwards and upwards . . . . .
Tamerton Chocolates
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Tamerton Chocolates »

Belstone is almost an hours drive from Plymouth though :) .. there is also a charity walk around Down Tor (walk from Norsworthy Bridge) and a good chance of picking up some extra boxes there.

If you want to drive a bit further, I never had much luck scavenging around Pew Tor, I rather try the Staple or Mis tors as suggested earlier if I was you. I think there is a charity walk around Littaford/Longaford as well .. good chance of picking up the extra box there too ..
whoisthechallenger
Trekker
Trekker

Post by whoisthechallenger »

I know Bonehill Rocks is our standard answer to these kind of questions, but has anyone actually been there recently? Is it still awash with kiddies boxes? Or is it being frequently and regularly vandalised ala Saddle Tor and Hound Tor?
A Dartmoor Letterboxing blog:
www.who-is-the-challenger.blogspot.com
MarkP
Ambler
Ambler

Post by MarkP »

Both Bonehill and Saddle Tor still had plenty of boxes that are good for kids to find (my 2 enjoyed it) when we were down there a couple weeks ago. Pew Tor was less good.