Letterboxing Database

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Colin
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Colin »

I would be very surprised if the cat was not in electronic format when sent to the printers. But I think if they were to sell it as A PDF or word Doc then it would be easy for one person to buy and then send on to others without them having to pay for it.

Colin
Everyone has a photographic memory. My problem is I don't have any film.

www.colin-masters.com
Gemma
Trekker
Trekker

Post by Gemma »

bog_baby wrote:Thanks everyonex
Ooooh that is a tad misleading, I just read on Nicks thread about the catalogue being available on disc and assumed it would be about the same price.......surely to print the books there must be an electronic copy so it would be quite easy to make discs wouldn't it????
Yep & then send them to our "mates" via an email then they send it to their mates via email. Oh! I have a plan why not send the Cat to every one. Sorted. Oh not a plan after all> :D :evil: :evil: :D.
I suggest one thinks before hitting "submit" :D :D :D Note to self... think before hitting submit...
We seek them here, we seek them......
Colin
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Colin »

Nik - KOTM wrote:There is the other alternative.... write your own database... it really isn't that hard
Very True, or you could use a spreadsheet.

www.colin-masters.com
ianjp67
Drifter
Drifter

Post by ianjp67 »

1100 input already - after downloading Colin's programme last Sunday that ain't too bad I suppose. :shock:

Once they're scanned into PC only takes a couple of minutes - if that - per box to input.

I really like the fact you can see where the boxes are and plan and print a walk using the programme.
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

Gemma wrote:
bog_baby wrote:Thanks everyonex
Ooooh that is a tad misleading, I just read on Nicks thread about the catalogue being available on disc and assumed it would be about the same price.......surely to print the books there must be an electronic copy so it would be quite easy to make discs wouldn't it????
Yep & then send them to our "mates" via an email then they send it to their mates via email. Oh! I have a plan why not send the Cat to every one. Sorted. Oh not a plan after all> :D :evil: :evil: :D.
I suggest one thinks before hitting "submit" :D :D :D Note to self... think before hitting submit...
One doesn't have any friends so really not an issue :shock:
ianjp67
Drifter
Drifter

Post by ianjp67 »

ah poor bog baby!! :o

Sure you've lots of friends on here!! :P

8 pages of boxes loaded tonight!! Gone a bit boss eyed now so time to stop!!! :shock:
MagicHarry
Hiker
Hiker

Post by MagicHarry »

Hello All. Nik is right - it's easy to create your own database with out forking out a whole load of cash... I've developed my own, all you do is input the Grid Ref of where you want to go, and it displays all LetterBoxes in that area, it also displays all Geocaches and other points of interest. Nearest pub, parking, toilets, pretty much anything. Generates a one-pager with all the details you need and off you go.....
I would offer to other folk, but don't want to charge people and don't want to just give it away either.....
Bog_Baby don't forget I'm your bestest friend!
Magic Harry
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

If you can write a spreadsheet program using whats on offer a microsoft database is easier to construct, the only limitation is 255 characters and then the whole thing just falls into place
might think about demonstrating how to create on for you lot on here if I get the time....
Nik 245 to go
Colin
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Colin »

IMHO

To develop a proper database it is actually quite complicated, you have to factor in such things as data types, field lengths, Primary key, indexes, data normalization, Joins etc etc. True it is easy to develop a very basic database, but to do it in such a way that is works well it it a lot more difficult.

Also I do always chuckle when people refer to spreadsheets as databases, I hear it all the time at work, but of course a spreadsheet is a spreadsheet hence the name and not a database. I am not knocking people who develop spreadsheets that hold data and call them databases put the fact of the matter is that it is still a spreadsheet.

Colin

www.colin-masters.com
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

Yes do it Nik!! need all the help I can get being one of those people that doesn't really know the difference between a spread sheet and database ......I do know what a spread sheet is though if that helps....

It's hard to find friends when you smell like a bog :lol:
Gemma
Trekker
Trekker

Post by Gemma »

Also I do always chuckle when people refer to spreadsheets as databases, I hear it all the time at work, but of course a spreadsheet is a spreadsheet hence the name and not a database. I am not knocking people who develop spreadsheets that hold data and call them databases put the fact of the matter is that it is still a spreadsheet.
What is the difference?

P.S. I do know but other folk may not! :D :D :D
foxy
Trekker
Trekker

Post by foxy »

and while you're there, what's the difference between a grass snake and an adder? (I know, it's just that some other folk may not.....) :wink:
Gemma
Trekker
Trekker

Post by Gemma »

foxy wrote:and while you're there, what's the difference between a grass snake and an adder? (I know, it's just that some other folk may not.....) :wink:
I know I know>>>>One has venom & one does not. Do I get a prize!!! :D :D
Colin
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Colin »

See here for info on DB's and spreadsheets

http://www.qcisolutions.com/dbinfo1.htm

or here

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1435148,00.asp

If you want to analize data use excel, if you can to store lots of data use a database, Just google them the web is full of info on the differences.

Colin

www.colin-masters.com
foxy
Trekker
Trekker

Post by foxy »

Gemma wrote:
foxy wrote:and while you're there, what's the difference between a grass snake and an adder? (I know, it's just that some other folk may not.....) :wink:
I know I know>>>>One has venom & one does not. Do I get a prize!!! :D :D
We're getting there. Slowly but surely........