budget sighting compass

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

bigdave
Ambler
Ambler

budget sighting compass

Post by bigdave »

i am struggling to find some wom boxes i have been given with my old silva type3 and recon it may be easier with a proper sighting compass

also i am going to be siting a few boxes of my own and recon i will need a better compass for that if i ever expect anyone to be able find them :D

what is the best budget compass out there for letterboxing they seem to vary a lot pricewise
70 to go
Colin
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Colin »

The Silva Expedition 54 sighting compass is probably your best bet. I have bought cheaper one's in the past but is IMHO its the best one to use.

Colin
Everyone has a photographic memory. My problem is I don't have any film.

www.colin-masters.com
Gemma
Trekker
Trekker

Post by Gemma »

Colin wrote:The Silva Expedition 54 sighting compass is probably your best bet. I have bought cheaper one's in the past but is IMHO its the best one to use.

Colin
Yep agree 100% not cheap but in my opinion the best buy.
We seek them here, we seek them......
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Agree - you really have to be very accurate with the bearings when siting boxes. If you try and sight them with a hand held compass, then it will make it very difficult for other boxers with the proper sighting compass to find the box. You can find the '54' on ebay sometimes, or even Amazon. A good price is between £40 - 50. If you are going to get into boxing as a real hobby this compass is essential.
bigdave
Ambler
Ambler

Post by bigdave »

how does that work then ??

it dosen't appear to have a mirror on top so you can allighn the needle which was the type i was thinking of

this seems to be a different type alltogeter how do you allighn the needle with this while sighting an object ??
70 to go
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Where the dial is on a hand held compass - the dial on a 54 is raised up and there is a prism inside. You hole the compass to the eye and look through the prism to get a bearing. If youare anywhere near Kountry Kit in Tavistock, or Moorland Rambler shop, go in and asked to have a look at one.
reg the bullmastiff
Hiker
Hiker

Post by reg the bullmastiff »

I would suggest if you are going to spend £40 - £50 on a compass you throw an extra £10 at it and get yourself a GPS off of ebay?
I have tried all sorts of things but sometimes it boils down to "LUCK?" You have to trust that the people sighting the box are 100% accurate and what is 100% really? I used to think "some people" are having a laugh, but maybe it is down to re-siteing of boxes or even the LBT? (what is 100%?)
Failing all that PM me your address and I will send you my compass, as I don't use it, and have two I don't use! (you did say "budget")
Now I just go for a walk. If I find one, I find one, if not? Hay Ho! I still find as many by chance as looked for........ Or is it just me? Am I just crap at it?
bigdave
Ambler
Ambler

Post by bigdave »

i recon its probably within 5degrees with my ordinary compass but i have to line it up then try to bring the compass down to chest height to see the dial while keeping the direction right its not accurate at all realy and nowhere near correct :(

i have sent you a pm anyway if you have a sighting compass spare that would be amazing then i can as you say put the cash towards a gps and have both :D
70 to go
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

If you are going to publish the clue - be it to friends or other letterboxers keep the map reference to 6 figures... it discourages the DLT
Nik 245 to go
devon steamer
Ambler
Ambler

Post by devon steamer »

yep go for the 54 silva compass simply the best better then all the rest(theres a song in there)
The Sly Fox
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Sly Fox »

reg the bullmastiff wrote:Now I just go for a walk. If I find one, I find one, if not? Hay Ho! I still find as many by chance as looked for........ Or is it just me? Am I just crap at it?
That is the funniest thing I've read on here in ages :lol:
This fox is the hunter, not the hunted !!
1,578 and counting ...
reg the bullmastiff
Hiker
Hiker

Post by reg the bullmastiff »

AH I take it it's me, I must be crap?

Went to the moor over the weekend and found a few, no map, compass or book. Just a dog (can anyone guess what sort of dog I have?) ANYWAY I digress I went and checked on our box that has been out since 2009-2010 ..................... I'VE BEEN ROBBED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

So what is the answer?????????????? :?

STICK OUT A "LOAD" MORE! :D
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

What is the answer to the thief? I dunno, but making it as difficult as possible has got to be the way forward.
As for a compass, it has to be the best you can afford as you might have to use it to save your life to navigate in zero visibilty!
Nik 245 to go
Dartymoor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Dartymoor »

The mention of a GPS is a good one. Not to everyone's tastes, and if you're asking to this detail of a sighting compass, it's clear you've got a good idea of what you want, but I find a GPS very useful for navigating as well as keeping track of where I've been. "Where's my car" is always a quick answer with an exact distance too - I don't even need to waymark it as the path I've walked is shown on the map.

And yes, magnetic compasses are often built in too, as well as true bearings.

A true, good, sighting compass will last a lifetime, is lighter, less easily damaged and never runs out of batteries. Just mentioning the alternatives!
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Dartymoor wrote: A true, good, sighting compass will last a lifetime, is lighter, less easily damaged and never runs out of batteries. Just mentioning the alternatives!
Anyone who relies upon a GPS is a fool, IMHO. I like to use a GPS as an aid, but secondary to the compass and good preparation.
Using a GPS certainly blinkers anyone as to what is going on around you, as the user follows their course blindly.
A compass shows the way a GPS takes you there.... does that make sense?
Nik 245 to go