Wild Camping

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

MagicHarry
Hiker
Hiker

Wild Camping

Post by MagicHarry »

Hello all, it's been a while since I visited the site!!
Finally I plucked up the courage to wild camp on the moors and what a great experience it was. I left the car at the Forest Inn, Hexworthy (now under new management) and marched up the hill towards Hexworthy Mines. Forgetting how heavy my backpack was with tent, sleeping bag, food and all the necessary survial kit.
I went past Henroost Cross, Henroost Mine, onto Skir Hill (the two crosses), past Misery Cross and down towards Childe's Tomb. By this point the weather was getting really bad, very windy and rain was on it's way. I pitched my tent just below Fox Tor, and just in time as it poured down...... By morning it was glorious sunshine and what a great place to wake up!! I didn't see a soul for 3 days!. It was a great location to reflect on the storys of Fox Tor Mires and the Hound of the Baskervilles.
I'd reccomend wild camping to anyone!
Magic Harry
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

You just made me feel very envious

I am glad you had a great time
Nik 245 to go
reg the bullmastiff
Hiker
Hiker

Post by reg the bullmastiff »

Sounds Magic, Magic Harry. Starting to get a bit nippy at night now? I bet with all the rain we have had of recent it was a bit soggy? Whatever happened to summer? I was waiting for the weather to get dry warm and breezy before myself and Reg (the BULLMASTIFF) did the same thing, but it never seemed to happen. Nothing worse than sharing a tent with a wet dog? Especially one that weighs eleven and a half stone! (78Kg) Talk about "Hounds of the Baskavill's" imagine having one IN your tent, and don't get me started on his FARTING!!! :oops:
Maybe it's just as well we never went? Hay Hoe :roll:
blue danube family
Ambler
Ambler

Post by blue danube family »

What are the restrictions on camping on the moor.

I would like to do it with my son, but not sure what laws or regulations there are for camping on the moor.

Please do let me know ....
aber_aos
Ambler
Ambler

Post by aber_aos »

It is okay on certain land subject to certain sensible restrictions. http://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/visiting/vi- ... or/camping has some details. There should also be a map available showing the permitted areas.

I hope you enjoy your camping.
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

I believe you can camp for one night almost anywhere on the moor, but you must be at least 50 feet or yards away from any road. And you must not leave any trace of your stay.
Personally I prefer pub campsites... less distance to stagger
Nik 245 to go