LAUGHTER TOR - PLEASE HELP

Report missing or damaged boxes.

Moderator: Moderators

karen27
Drifter
Drifter

LAUGHTER TOR - PLEASE HELP

Post by karen27 »

Can anyone help - this is a genuine plea. My walking partner and dearest friend created a letterbox in the name of 'The Thinkers'. We have left our stamp (Rodan's 'Thinker') in several boxes across the Moor over the years.

Sadly, Andy was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour in April 2010, just after the glorious Easter when we visited our box at Laughter Tor. Andy checked all was intact, he was meticulous and the box contained sharpener, stamp pad, pencils and was carefully wrapped with black tape to keep the water out, then in a plastic bag and placed behind two stones in a shoulder high crevice on the Bellever Tor side of Laughter Tor. He also contributed to this blog, search 'The Thinkers' for his last comments.

Andy died on 19th October, two days after his 56th birthday, enduring his painful final days with dignity and, although not able to express himself in the last months, always missing 'His Dartmoor'.

I have checked twice lately and the box has gone.
Please, can anyone help - has it been moved? Is there really a letterbox thief? Has anyone seen it lately misplaced perhaps?

Thank you for reading. Karen - other half of Karen and Andy - The Thinkers
Ogwell Oddbods
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Ogwell Oddbods »

So sorry to hear of the loss of your walking partner.
We also had a box on Laughter Tor that was about 100 yards south of your box but it was stolen / went missing about a year ago. I have a feeling that the whole area was cleared at the same time as there were a few other boxes in the same area that also are also missing now.
We found your box on 27th July 2011 and all was well with it then if that's any conciliation?
karen27
Drifter
Drifter

Post by karen27 »

Thanks for that. Good to know it was still present last summer anyway. It was in good condition when I last saw it so no reason to 'remove' ligitimately, what a shame that some feel the need to spoil things and, in this case, very sad timing !