Addicted to little pill pots hidden under stones!!!!!

A brief description on how you were bitten by the letterbox bug

Moderator: Moderators

smartieb
Hiker
Hiker

Post by smartieb »

No one i put one in here for a while so thought i'd give it a go.
My first introduction to letterboxing was approx 27 years ago when i was about 12-13. We were visiting friends who lived in lifton at the time (we came from up north) and i remember the words 'we are going for a walk as at the top you can write a message in a book thats hidden up there and we know where it is'. I don't remeber the tor but the weather was miserable, visibility was in cm and a typical 12-13 year old lad idea of hell and thought nothing more of it.
Fast forward to July 2011, with kids of my own and we were in the narrator brook area up near Cuckoo Rock / Combshead Tor for a normal walk and in our usual lunch time spot. As we were packing away for what ever reason i noticed a tupperware tub under a rock, thinking it was just rubbish i pulled it out and it was a Woodside Animal Trust Charity Walk Stamp. Well the kids thought this was great. A poor quality copy of the stamp was made on some spare tissue we had in the rucksack and we said - well we will keep our eye out for more when we are on the moors.
160+ stamps later and for me this has turned into a little obsession of mine. We try and get up to the moors on a monthly basis for a spot of letterboxing (i would do it every weekend if i had the chance!). When not on the moors i spend any spare time i have plotting stamp locations on my computer (from the catolgue) planning future trips.
Sad i know but as a 13 year old boy i never thought i would be so excited about finding a plastic tub under a rock approaching 40
Bring on my 500th stamp - target within next 18 months!!!! 8)
Always Looking for More!
aka Munchers Searching the Moor
Parkhill Plodders
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Parkhill Plodders »

Glad I'm not the only one. I too have in the last 18 months got back into it , now have kids of my own and try and get up there as much as I can. The wife is not a big fan of letter boxing. Only about 250 away from 2000 . Sad I know but I enjoy it and is one of my outlets in a stressful life.

Russ. Parkhill plodders
smartieb
Hiker
Hiker

Post by smartieb »

Russ
250 to 2000, just got our 250th stamp over the weekend - you either manage to get upto the moors more often or youre alot better at finding them than us!!!
Same in our family really - if i could would go up every weekend but other kids commitments restrict us.
Blackmail of kids works - 20p / box but with three kids can get a little expensive for what is a cheap hobby - just glad the missus doesn't want 20p as well!!!
Keep plodding :P
Always Looking for More!
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Wandering Artist »

Always good news to hear that the 'not so young' are still at it, letterboxing! but better to hear that they are encouraging the next generation to undertake!
Well done, and I hope you have good seeking to come!

TWA
smartieb
Hiker
Hiker

Post by smartieb »

the more i can get the kids interested the more excuses i can make to get up there myself!!!
Had an interesting discussion between boxes up @ widgery cross last weekend with my eldest - do you think this is something that i will do with my kids and them my kids will do it with their children. My reply was i certainly hope so - he is only 12!
Always Looking for More!
WillHolt
Drifter
Drifter

Post by WillHolt »

Strange how addictive it can be, my kids love it when they find a box. They have to take it in turns to find them. I have to distract one while pointing to a box to the other one.
smartieb
Hiker
Hiker

Post by smartieb »

Tried the same thing as well and this normally turns into arguments, especially if it is a site with a missing box - argue whos turn it is then!! for the next box

If using the gps once we are within about 30 secs of the box all three start running to try and find it so if you see three kids running on the moors shouting 'its my turn' then good chance we are out letterboxing!!! and apologies in advance to those who are out for a quite day on the moors (why i leave them at home sometimes and go on my own!)
Always Looking for More!