The Letterbox Thief

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Warminster Things
Drifter
Drifter

The Letterbox Thief

Post by Warminster Things »

I have been thinking. As letterboxing is quite important to the moorland economy, Pubs, Camping etc.
Could it not be discused with the DNPA wether they could let it be known that they support Letterboxing on the moor and they will be willing to prosecute any person or persons caught stealing or tampering with a legitamet moorland past time. This may at least prevent more copy cat theifs.
Kenton Kestrel
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Kenton Kestrel »

Any person who without lawful authority permanently removes a Dartmoor Letterbox is committing theft and if caught can be prosecuted by the police. The offence if prosecuted in a magistrates' court currently carries a maximum penalty of a fine of up to £5000 and or 6 months imprisonment.

The DNPA are not a prosecuting authority for the criminal offence such as theft.
Warminster Things
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Warminster Things »

I actually meant that they would be willing to suport a prosecution.
I know no one is going to be caught, but it would be nice for the DNPA to puplicly state that they would back a prosecution.
And anybody can bring a prosecution against another person , so actually the DNPA could bring a prosecution, the same way as they would if you decided to park a camper permanently at Meldon.
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Sadly, the DNPA regards letterboxing as litter... but they turn a blind eye to it as long as the boxes are well maintained, and the emphasis is on WELL MAINTAINED.
Nik 245 to go
Gemma
Trekker
Trekker

Post by Gemma »

Nik - KOTM wrote:Sadly, the DNPA regards letterboxing as litter... but they turn a blind eye to it as long as the boxes are well maintained, and the emphasis is on WELL MAINTAINED.
Not sure you are right. DNPA have been supportive & have agreed "Guidelines" so don't think they have turned a blind eye.
We seek them here, we seek them......