RNLI CHARITY WALK UPDATE

Issues regarding safety and links of interest

Moderator: Moderators

Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

RNLI CHARITY WALK UPDATE

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Please see updated information re the RNLI Charity walk advertised at the October meet.

It is with very great sadness that I have to tell you that Mary Restell was in a diving accident last Saturday, and sadly did not survive. I will put below the announcement that her husband Roy has made via facebook :

Hi all, Roy here. Thank you all for kind words and support.
I know a lot of people are wanting to know what happened so here is a long story short.
Mary and I with a friend were on a 15 minute, 60m trimix, all went well until time came to put up the bags when Mary seemed to lose focus and forget what she was doing. We both tried to help but she suffered a catastrophic medical event ( I believe a coldwater pneumothorax) and past away at about 50m, stopped breathing and started to sink away from me. Whilst I understood the situation I reasoned that if she had any chance it had to be on the surface so performed a bouyant lift and blew off well over 45 mins deco. Despite the best efforts of staff and other divers at Chepstow and paramedics it was to no avail. As a consequence I am in Derriford hospital with daily trips to the chamber and likely to be here for at least another dozen treatments, but am improving slowly. We are planned for her funeral to be held in Peter Tavy, date unknown at this time. But I and our two children Rusty and Helen, who have been wonderful, hope many, if not all, of Mary's friends will be able to attend when details are finalised.
Roy
(Deco means decompression time. M.)
Roy added this later:
I now believe Mary suffered coldwater cerebral oedema, which would explain her confusion and lack of co-ordination and sudden demise. This of course needs confirmation from autopsy and is speculation on my part. Something you should never do in cases like this. Thanks to Ian for the info.

The RNLI Charity Walk
With immediate effect please send ALL correspondence with regards to the RNLI walk to me (details in the Charity walk section) and I will send out clues and starter stamps. If there are any problems with the walk I will get them sorted. Please look after this walk, it is likely to have a special meaning for some now. This arrangement is, initially at least, temporary and I will be handing this walk back to Roy when he feels ready and willing to take it back on.
I am sure that you will join me in offering Roy and family sincere condolences on this most tragic loss.
Freemans of the Moor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Freemans of the Moor »

Jenny and I would like to express our most sincere condolences to Roy. Although they were in Peter Tavy and we are in Tavistock, we never ever met them. Please keep us informed of all the arrangements.
God Bless and Rest in Peace. Len & Jenny Freeman (Freemans of the Moor)
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Following on from my previous message about the sad passing of Mary Restell, her husband Roy has posted the following on facebook:

Mary's farewell do will be held on Tuesday 2nd December at 13:00 in Peter Tavy church, Peter Tavy. And a wee drinky taken at the Peter Tavy Inn afterwards.
No flowers please, but a retiring collection will be taken and divided between the RNLI and DDRC.
I've a feeling that all the seats will be taken and there will be little standing room left if any..