I tried and Failed.

A brief description on how you were bitten by the letterbox bug

Moderator: Moderators

Maomoor
Drifter
Drifter

I tried and Failed.

Post by Maomoor »

Now lets be clear, I'm no stranger to Dartmoor. However after 20yrs of camping, biving, hiking and running these sodden mires, Tors and grasslands, today I decided to try my hand at Dartmoor Letterboxing.

I've just walked 19miles around the north moor, taking frequent breaks to look under/behind any rock that looks in the slightest bit dodgy, and I have found a grand total of ZERO.

I do the whole Geocache thing with my 5yr/old, and he loves it. But thought I'd try and raise the bar and locate some proper boxes which I can delight him with, and hopefully develop his interest in the original 'Daritmoor' treasure hunt, but in one attempt I consider myself beaten.

Finding 100 to qualify for a catalogue seems impossible, how people find thousands is totally beyond me.

I'm obviously doung something wrong. :o(
Colin
Hiker
Hiker

Re: I tried and Failed.

Post by Colin »

The days of having to find 100 boxes before getting the Catalogue are long gone. You can buy it here http://letterboxingondartmoor.co.uk/?page_id=23 straight away. Try going to Cox Tor / Staple tor area there used to be loads hidden around there. Also there is often an ice cream van @ the nearby car park which is a real bonus for the kids.
Everyone has a photographic memory. My problem is I don't have any film.

www.colin-masters.com
Maomoor
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Maomoor »

Thanks Colin for the info, I'd best get a cheque in the post for a few clues. The Cox Tor tip is also greatly received, I might make a 'letter boxer' yet.
Dartymoor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Dartymoor »

A charity walk is a nice easy introduction too - clear clues, better than average chance they're still there, usually a themed set of stamps.
Maomoor
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Maomoor »

A tiny update. It seems word gets around in Devon. A friend of a friend, that I hardly know, was told I was looking for LB's on the moor and and sent me an old catalogue from Spring '15 with simply the words "Enjoy" writen inside the cover.

Thanks to him, today at 3pm, I found my first!
BrantRo
Drifter
Drifter

Post by BrantRo »

That's just awesome, Maoumoor. Some people are amazing like that. Good on that fella. Did you find any more since then btw?
Everyone should pay attention to these Ostarine results because they're amazing.