The future of this forum

Changes, bugs, problems, ideas, new stuff.... All relating to the website.

Moderator: Moderators

Dartymoor
Hiker
Hiker

The future of this forum

Post by Dartymoor »

It's now been a few months since there was any activity on this site, so I'm writing this partly to test whether things are still working - but also to see if there is much interest in this forum continuing.
hamster_2500
Drifter
Drifter

Re: The future of this forum

Post by hamster_2500 »

Hi, I just joined in the hope of finding any source of clues to help me find traditional letter boxes. I used to letter box as a teenager and now Geocache.

Other than word of mouth at meets it seems they no longer exist now the catalogue is no longer published. Any advice? Thanks John
RiTchYBoy
Drifter
Drifter

Post by RiTchYBoy »

I keep checking in to see if there are any new posts

I'd love it to continue as I'm just getting back into the hobby but with the lockdown in place people aren't able to go boxing and hence have nothing to say possibly?

Rich
Dartymoor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Dartymoor »

That's a fair point, Rich - although it was already in decline when I took it over 4 or 5 years ago. Forums tend to need a critical mass of active users and I don't think that will ever return here.

I'm going to try to find someone to take it over though, so hopefully it won't disappear completely.
Bobbysocks
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Bobbysocks »

Hi,

I've found this forum as having recently moved its a chance to get back to letter-boxing, or so i thought.

Unfortunately and somewhat unbelievably my most recent catalogue is Spring 2011! I didn't want to send off a cheque to the old address I used to use so thought i'd better investigate. This post has someone stating the catalogue is no longer published, but I couldnt find anything to confirm??

Could someone confirm please that is it/isnt published anymore ??

Thanks very much

Bob
RiTchYBoy
Drifter
Drifter

Post by RiTchYBoy »

The letterboxing catalogue is still available but the 'management' has changed and Colin Richards sorts out the books now

From the Feb 2021 update:

NEW SPRING CATALOGUE 2021 The new catalogue will be on sale at the end of March, the cost will stay at £8 plus postage, could you e-mail if you haven’t already done so to reserve a copy to [email protected] As soon as Colin has the catalogues he can then send you details of how to purchase a copy. He will accept cheque or bank transfer. Copies will also be available from Malcolm Allderidge. Malcolm also has available the 2020 catalogue.
Bobbysocks
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Bobbysocks »

Many thanks for your reply. Really appreciate it. Bob
trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

Post by trekkernod »

For 30+ years the Catalogue Of Dartmoor Letterboxes produced by Tony Moore and Sylvia Moore. Both have provided a great service to the hobby and for that we thank them.

To expand a bit on the previous post regarding the Catalogue Of Dartmoor Letterboxes. Before the publication of the 2021 issue, Colin & Shirley Richards, went through each and every clue and corrected any errors and omission. This has resulted in a more 'accurate' product. That said, the odd 'typo' has crept in, but these do not present any real problems.
During the 1990s, letterboxes were given a time limit and, after 5 years, they were Deleted as 'Time Expired', even if they were still on the moor. Therefore, many of those 'Time Expired' letterboxes could still be on the moor, but remain unvisited because they are deemed as deleted. Now and again one of the boxes will come to light, having been found 'by accident'.

There are still hundreds Word of Mouth boxes on the moor. In most cases, the clues to those boxes are only available if exchanged for your own WoM boxes. Unfortunately, there are even instances where WoM clues are only given on the condition that the recipient puts out a certain number of boxes in a certain time period. It makes you wonder if the owners of some of the WoM boxes actually site them for people to find or just for some self indulgent sense of importance.
That said, I must add that most of the WoM letterboxes are worth collecting. Some of the topics for the sets / series of stamps are very interesting and of excellent design.

Letterboxing provides a different experience for everyone, depending on what they want from the hobby. If you just like to walk on Dartmoor to enjoy the scenery, but like a souvenir of where you have been, then letterboxing will provide that. If you want to collect as many letterboxes as you can, you can do that too. However you decide to take up the letterboxing hobby - take time out from your 'hunting' to sit and absorb the magic of Dartmoor.
Dartmoor has a way of distracting you away from letterboxing and turning your interest into its history. Often the subjects of letterbox stamps can sow the seeds of this interest. In my case it was the boundary stones that grabbed my interest.

Enjoy the moor - Stay safe!

NTTT
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
LilMamaChris35
Drifter
Drifter

Post by LilMamaChris35 »

I love to help anyway need I just joined and I will be very active starting now