General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Dizzy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dizzy »

Some people do bring their boxes in for the winter, mine not included. As you are aware the moors can be very wet and cold over the winter period so many boxes do suffer because of this. :(
Depending on what the stamps are hidden in and the quality of the container and if the last visitor seals the box properly, depends on weather they will withstand the harshness of the winter months.

Dizzy
Visit my website and please leave a message on my new Guestbook!
http://www.letterboxstamper.co.ukhttp://www.devonartist.co.uk
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

oddly the best boxes I have found for boxing are the Lock and lock boxes that were sold on QVC a short while ago
Nik 245 to go
Boo Boxers

Post by Boo Boxers »

Ours stay out all year round.
www.4x4prejudice.com

676 found only 324 to go!
The Sly Fox
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Sly Fox »

Mine is out all year round too.

Because the box has been found so few times, even the book is original ... and of course, as dry as a camel's flip-flop :wink:
This fox is the hunter, not the hunted !!
1,578 and counting ...
Blinch
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Blinch »

.... Hmm. I've never seen a camel in flip flops :?
Anyway thanks. So if I manage a trip to Dartmoor in March or thereabouts - there'll still be some boxes to look for :) .
That's made my day!

Blinch.
wooiee
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by wooiee »

i like the moors in winter that horrible bracken dies back. makes those boxes easier to find :P
________
Lincoln-Mercury
Last edited by wooiee on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boo Boxers

Post by Boo Boxers »

The winter is the best time for letterboxing, no bracken, much quieter.
www.4x4prejudice.com

676 found only 324 to go!
Dizzy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dizzy »

I agree, I also like letterboxing in the winter, quieter and easier to get around. Mind you the letterboxes are fewer due to a lot being taken off the moors for the winter.

Dizzy
Visit my website and please leave a message on my new Guestbook!
http://www.letterboxstamper.co.ukhttp://www.devonartist.co.uk
batty
Ambler
Ambler

Post by batty »

I like the winter best too but the kids don't always agree. You can tell it's us with the cries of "it's too windy!" as one of them gets blown over.
The Sly Fox
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Sly Fox »

Dartmoor is wonderful all year round for me. But like you say, winter has no horrible overgrowth. As long as it is dry ... I am happy.
This fox is the hunter, not the hunted !!
1,578 and counting ...
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

There are hidden dangers whilst boxing in the winter months - apart from the obvious cold wind and short days.

You do need to be able to have something with you that will allow you have some hot intake - a flask of tea/coffee or better still soup.

Get firmly ingrained into your minds the states of hypothermia, and any sign of hyperthermia in your group - you ALL get off the moor and get into the warm.
Hypothermia is a killer - obvious signs are chatterng teeth and shivering - this state is ok and you can continue.... but be wary of the next phase
Chattering stops speech becomes slurred or silent, the victim becomes lethargic - this is a serious state, you need to do something about it.
Get out of the wind, change clothes. Especially if they are wet!
And get off the moor - - - - - Is that just-one-more-box worth a life?
It will be there next time and you can learn from what happened.

Oddly most people when out on the moor on a cold day go out there wrapped up to the nines and not remove any layers of clothing.
I know this is me ... but I was shown many years ago if you maintain a quick step you can almost go out in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops in the middle of winter (well not quite..) it is when you stop you feel cold and if you have something thin to put on you will feel warmer... it is to trap air between layers of clothing that is the secret not great big thick coats!

And when it gets really cold I recommend a helly-hansson thermal shirt - thin it may be - warm it certainly is... anyway thats enough waffle for now....
Nik 245 to go