Organising clues and stamps

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Cock & Mrs Chicken
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Mr Cock & Mrs Chicken »

So, one has a catalgue, several updates, a batch of charity walks and a host of WOM clues sent by email, together with a few hundred found stamps.

Several times we have found it frustrating to find that we have been on a walk and found that we have walked past quite a few other boxes.

We thought it would be interesting to generate a topic to find out how others collate and record their clues and what sort of list they take with them whilst boxing.

We have just started using a Memory Map print out for short walks but this still requires a lot of paper-sifting before keying in locations. And we still have remember to bring along the clue sheets.

We use Excel for cataloguing found stamps but are thinking about the letterboxing programme that was advertised at the Meet. This appears to be one answert to help.Has anyone used this?

Has anyone better ways of organising their clues?
Boo Boxers

Post by Boo Boxers »

Organising clues?

Crikey - that's way beyond us!
www.4x4prejudice.com

676 found only 324 to go!
Dizzy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dizzy »

Eek, organising clues. :shock:
Ok, I tend to sit down for a couple of hours the night before trenching out onto the moors, work out where the boxes are located through the catalogue, updates and WOM's, plot them onto the map and finally type out all the clues so both myself and my partner have a copy each. I tend to type them out in the order I prefer to walk for them.

As for cataloging my finds, I just use plain ole Word splitting my pages into two columns so I can get more on them, plus auto numbering. Usual date, place and then just the name/box number of the stamps. Nothing fancy like yours, you are really organised! :D

Dizzy
Visit my website and please leave a message on my new Guestbook!
http://www.letterboxstamper.co.ukhttp://www.devonartist.co.uk
wooiee
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by wooiee »

ghostbusters and mountains has been using memory map for a while now,but not sure if he has a data base of finds....
________
Friend Advice Dicussion
Last edited by wooiee on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Cock & Mrs Chicken
Hiker
Hiker

We are NOT organised but it is an aspiration...
Slow and Steady
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Slow and Steady »

I would like to be organised aswell but not enough hours in the day!!! Can you let me know what MEMORY MAP actually is. I have looked on the site but not conviced. Do you have to purchase the software to download the maps or is it free downlaod? Please can you explain what you have to do. Thanks alot!!! Is there a web address for the system that was demonstrated at the meet? :roll:
NUMBER 70

Post by NUMBER 70 »

Our box list is also on excel with the following headings
Number of found boxes
registered number (if any)
description/title of box

When preparing clues I usually focus on one grid at a time and sift through all the paperwork, having the updates on email speeds it up a bit as I can cut and paste into word any clues found on them. the catalogue is slightly easier/harder as they are catalogued in the back in grid square order but you still have to scan in the relevant pages and cut and paste the individual clues.

I then put the clues in order from 10 digit grid refs down to 4 digit grids,
plot out the boxes on a map and work out the walk order then program the gps with the everything down to 6 digit.

you can cross check if you have found any in that area by using the sort feature on excel to list the locations you have been in alphabetical order and delete any from your new search list.

All this is started about six weeks before we go on holiday

We go out on the moor all ready to letterbox and it rains.... Deep joy!!

Is the catalogue available on disk yet? or should I just buy two copies butcher one and scan em all in.
Now a Sustrans Volunteer Ranger Group Coordinator on the Trans Pennine Trail
Brinnie
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Brinnie »

As I receive clues I enter them on to a word document list, this list has titles in alphabetic order such as Amicome Hill
Arms Tor, Belstone Tors etc. These titles are in bright pink. I then copy and paste the new clues under the correct title. This method can also be used with grid squares. Clues can easily be deleted form the system when the box has been found.
Brinnie
Mad moorland muppet
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Mad moorland muppet »

We use the letterboxing program which we got from Malcolm Remnant - used to be sold at the meet - not sure if it is the one which currently is. Excellent program - can even work out grid refs, anagrams etc. You can plot a walk out using it and it has facilities to mark off boxes that you have found (for up to about 6 people) You can also put in if they are catalogue, word of mouth, one day, walks etc. Would definately recommend it. :lol:
Mr Cock & Mrs Chicken
Hiker
Hiker

Hi Slow and Steady:

Memory Map can do several things. You get the whole Dartmoor 1:25000 OS map to view on your computer and can print off just the area in which you plan to walk / letterbox. You enter grid refs for clues, which can be marked and labled on your print-off of the map. If you have a suitable GPS you can transfer data, and, we believe, see where you walked transferred to the OS Map. The programme also allows you to view the OS map in 3D and incorporates switching to view an aerial photo of the section of the map you are looking at.

A note of caution if you are planning to purchase a copy. Firstly, ensure the edition you buy will incorporate the new CROW act (new access land areas) that came came into effect last year, which are the new paper maps show. Don't know if Memory Map's Dartmoor edition has yet been released. Secondly, we understand that they offer a simple way of importing a list of co-ordinates written on notepad. We are certain that this programme, will only allow you to do it using Latitude & Longitude formats, and NOT OS grid refs. Try downloading the trial version.
Mr Cock & Mrs Chicken
Hiker
Hiker

Hi Number 70 and Mad Moorland Muppet

We have a sheet we picked up from the meet regarding a letterboxing programme which sounds as it could be the same as yours, MMM. Will take on board your recommendation! It is sounding attractive.

Number 70: From the details we have, the cost for this programme is £25. If you want the current catalogue on on CD the cost is an additional £25, with monthly data updates by email at "from 75p." Picked up our sheet from Tony Moore's table at the Meet.

If anyone wants the details about this programme, please PM us and we will send you scanned copies of the info we have.
The Sly Fox
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Sly Fox »

I do not use any fancy programmes, but I do have a grid of Dartmoor set up on my PC using Excel.
I only enter the total for each square kilometre though, using the walk planner at the back of the catalogue, plus the locations I have worked out from the clues without GRs.
I know then how many registered boxes 'should' be in the relevant area.

I do enough paperwork in my job, so this works just fine so far :?
This fox is the hunter, not the hunted !!
1,578 and counting ...
Boo Boxers

Post by Boo Boxers »

Thanks for emailing over those screen shots Mr Cock & Mrs Chicken. I had a look at them but at the moment the programme isn't suitable for us, it only runs on Windows and we use a Mac. We are thinking of getting a laptop to run alongside the Mac, so we may be interested in the future. Would be great though if anyone uses this programme or buys it in the future could keep the rest of us informed.
www.4x4prejudice.com

The Sly Fox
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Sly Fox »

I was considering getting a Mac, would you recommend them Boo?
This fox is the hunter, not the hunted !!
1,578 and counting ...
Boo Boxers

Post by Boo Boxers »

Not sure if i'm experienced enough in computers to recommend one Fox, we bought it after our PC blew up. Primarily we bought it because it looks good :oops:

We only really use it for emailing, internet and typing letters/invoices etc, so we are only using it in a limited fashion.

We both love it though, it's not too dissimilar to use, infact it's probably easier to use than Windows, a bit more user friendly so to speak.

Having said that it can be frustrating when we recieve a Word attachment in an email - you can buy a Mac version of Word but we havn't bothered.
www.4x4prejudice.com