Summer Charity Walks

To advertise all of your charity walks and events.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you wait until after nesting before doing the walks?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 15

Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Summer Charity Walks

Post by Fulchet »

Hi All

Here are some of the summer charity walks that have been mentioned in the updates lately. It is suggested that none should be undertaken before 15th July due to nesting and lambing:-

PHILATELY PHUN PHLOCKS. (Stamps previously out at Poltimore House in April 2006). A 4 mile walk from Four Winds in the Foggintor, North Hessary area, in aid of The Devon Air Ambulance & The Restoration of Poltimore House. 13 stamps & a Bonus (No’s.40760 to 40773). Boxes out from the Spring Meet until the end of September 2007. For a clue sheet please send a cheque for £2-50p (payable to “P.A.Read”) and SAE to:- Mrs Pat Wakeman, 5 Henry Daneway, Newbold Coleorton, Leics. LE67 8PP.

CHICKS IN THE JUNGLE. Please support our Summer Charity Walk in aid of Country Holidays for Inner City Kids (CHICKS) that will be going out in time for the Spring Meet. This is a 3 mile walk around Roos Tor, comprising 12 boxes plus 4 bonuses and a Starter Stamp, 17 in all (No’s.40828 to 40844). For a clue sheet please send a cheque for £2-50p payable to “CHICKS” TO:- Mike & Dee Dion, Hunters Oak, Bere Alston, Yelverton, Devon. PL20 7HT. (Out until 30th October 2007).

CORNISH WATER. A walk of approx 8km in the Lynch Tor area. 23 boxes plus a Starter Stamp (No’s.40845 to 40868). For clues please send a cheque for £2-50p (payable to “Cornwall Search and Rescue Team”) to:- Sue and Nigel Hutchings, 211 Longfield, Falmouth, Cornwall. TR11 4SR. (Out until 31st October 2007).

HOSPISCARE BIRDS WALK. A walk in the Princetown / Foggintor area. 11 boxes plus a Starter Stamp (No’s.40904 to 40915). For clues please send £2-50p (payable to “Hospiscare Exeter Hospice”) plus SAE to:- Mrs Rena Barrow, 4 All Saints Court, Honiton, Devon. EX14 1ZA. (Out until 26th October 2007).

Enjoy

Tina
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)
Tina
wires
Hiker
Hiker

Post by wires »

the advice must have come from the NPA, about the birds nesting it should be followed, or we will all get a bad name.

dont stand in somone elses shaddows, make your own mark. ..... do somthing that might scare you, it will change your life.
cranmere

Post by cranmere »

I mostly avoid bird nesting areas but I'm not rigorous about it, partly on the grounds that no other b****r avoids the areas.
Pat aka The Bristol Bogtrotter
wooiee
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by wooiee »

no i dont wait for the bird nesting to be finished before i go up.. if we keep to the small paths i should be fine, or am i wrong ?????
________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa
Last edited by wooiee on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

Here's a few more charity walks that were in this month's Updates:-

FLYING TO THE RESCUE. Devon Air Ambulance Trust – Registered Charity No.1077998. This is a charity walk in the Deancombe / Down Tor area comprising of twelve stamps plus four bonuses and a starter stamp (No’s.41018 to 41034) of about four miles. The stamps will remain on the Moor until the 31st October 2007. The starter stamp and clue sheet are £2-50p (payable to the “Devon Air Ambulance Trust”). Please include a SAE. Each clue sheet will be numbered and a prize of a top quality pressure washer (by kind permission of Abbey Garden Machinery) will be drawn on the 15th October when the nesting season ends. Please note that if any of the stamps go missing they will not be replaced. You will however be able to get copies if required. Apply to:- Ann Woodhouse / Steve John, 11 Pine View, Under Road, Gunnislake, Cornwall. PL18 9JF. (Tel: 01822 833347).

PORTRAIT OF A CRAFTY FOX SERIES 2. A stroll around North Hessary Tor in aid of the P.D.S.A Charity No.208217. 12 stamps plus a starter (No’s.40945 to 40957). For clues and starter stamp please send £2-50p (cheques payable to “P.D.S.A.”) plus SAE to:- Jim Dudley, c/o 19 Cathedral Street, Stone House, Plymouth, Devon. PL1 5JQ. (Tel: 01752 671881). Boxes out until October 2007). (Please note, Box 3 - Bonus, grid ref: should be 57354 74282 not 57354 74089).

ANIMALS ON DARTMOOR – LEWTRENCHARD PRE-SCHOOL GROUP. This walk will be on the Moor from 1st April to 28th October 2007. This is a 2½ to 3 mile walk from Four Winds car park following the track to Little Mis Tor then back along the boundary fence / wall to the car park. There are 12 boxes plus a Starter Stamp (No’s.41035 to 41047). For clues and starter stamp please send £2 (payable to “Lewtrenchard Pre-School Group”) plus SAE to:- Becky and Mark Jones, 1 Crosslands Cottage, Bridestowe, Okehampton, Devon. EX20 4NS.

MERCY SHIPS CHARITY WALK 2007 – No.2 DARTMOOR LEGENDS. A walk of approx. 4km suitable for all ages from Four Winds car park up to and around Great Mis Tor and back. The walk will be on site until end of October 2007. There are 18 boxes plus a Starter Stamp (No’s.40870 to 408880. For clues and Starter Stamp please send £2-50p (payable to “Chudleigh Parish Church”) plus SAE to:- Mrs Frances Daysh, 14 Exeter Road, Chudleigh, Devon. TQ13 0DD.
Tina
Dizzy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dizzy »

I agree with Wooiee, I tend to go to these areas but ONLY keep to the footpaths or small tracks. It may look and would be easier to hike across the rugged areas but I hate the thought of stepping on an egg or some little bird.

So yes, I do go into these areas but with upmost care.

Dizzy
Visit my website and please leave a message on my new Guestbook!
http://www.letterboxstamper.co.ukhttp://www.devonartist.co.uk
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

I must admit, I went out today to do the Chicks walk, but stayed very much on main routes. I could hear birds around and waited until a bird had flown away who happened to be sitting on the rock under which there was a letterbox at one point. I stayed in the distance and just watched.

I only saw three sheep. The remainder of the sheep were in the farmer's fenced grassed areas, so there was no danger of disturbing lambing.

I will probably go out again tomorrow to do the walk around Princetown old railway track, so will be sure not to disturb any birds there either.

Tina
Tina
NUMBER 70

Post by NUMBER 70 »

Very good question.

I am just about to send away for the walks below, as we are going down in May, wondering if I should bother, when is the lambing, nesting season

ANIMALS ON DARTMOOR
MERCY SHIPS CHARITY WALK 2007
PORTRAIT OF A CRAFTY FOX SERIES 2

just checked the catalogue and we are going right in the middle of the nesting season but non of the areas identified in there are where the walks are.

cut hill/fur tor, tavy cleave, headland warren and swell tor quarries

will have to tread carefully
Now a Sustrans Volunteer Ranger Group Coordinator on the Trans Pennine Trail
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

Lambing and nesting is 1st March to 15th July.

I did one of the walks today and stayed strictly to the quarryman's track and Princetown railway line. The boxes were usually sited by a well trodden trackway, so didn't disturb any of the birds, although you could hear them and see them in the distance.

Tina
Tina
wires
Hiker
Hiker

Post by wires »

we did that walk on saturday, first in the new book, many done it since??

paul.

dont stand in somone elses shaddows, make your own mark. ..... do somthing that might scare you, it will change your life.
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

No, just you, one other today and myself in the book at the moment.

Brilliant weather for walking yesterday - I did Chicks walk then - but today was absolutely horrid up there. I was quite a sight, hunched under a big piece of white plastic sheeting to protect the stamp whilst stamping up, to keep everything dry. I was determined to complete the walk though as I'd made the effort to go out again today. It dried up as I got to the visitor's book ... lol.

Tina
Tina