How we started - James&Jenny

A brief description on how you were bitten by the letterbox bug

Moderator: Moderators

James&Jenny
Hiker
Hiker

How we started - James&Jenny

Post by James&Jenny »

We first went letterboxing last November, but not on Dartmoor, on Lundy Island!

We went to Lundy Island for a long weekend. You probably know that Lundy is situated in the Bristol Channel, but did you know that it is a great place for letterboxing?

The island shop sells a letterboxing 'pack' that includes a list of clues, map, notebook and inkpad. There are 29 boxes to find, and they are hidden all over the island. Some of the boxes are easy to find, but some are much more difficult, only being able to be reached at low tide when you can scramble over the rocks at the base of the cliffs. We found only half of the boxes in 2 days, another day would have been useful! The Lundy letterboxes all have unique stamps, depicting the various historical landmarks. It's a great way to see all of the island, as looking for the stamps takes you to areas that you may not have visited 'normally'.

We'd recommend a visit for anyone who likes letterboxing! :D

James
326 stamps collected - lots more to go!
Dizzy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dizzy »

Hi James, I never realised that Lundy Island had letterboxes! :shock: Obviously an excellent way for you and Jenny to get started.

As you know there are thousands on Dartmoor, some lost or not visited for many years and these are a bonus to find! It's also great to return to an area after a year or two and you can be amazed at how many more have appeared either within the catalogue (which I'm sure you will soon be getting) or just by stumbling across them.

You will soon be a life long member of the Dartmoor Letterboxing Club!

Dizzy
Visit my website and please leave a message on my new Guestbook!
http://www.letterboxstamper.co.ukhttp://www.devonartist.co.uk
James&Jenny
Hiker
Hiker

Post by James&Jenny »

Thanks Dizzy! :D
Rixdale Rambler
Drifter
Drifter

How we started - James & Jenny

Post by Rixdale Rambler »

Hi,

I've been boxing on Dartmoor for years, but only this year did I go to Lundy. I took my husband there for his birthday (poor guy was terribly sea sick, as it was a really rough crossing, they only just sailed - some birthday present!) Also, I was on crutches after pulling a leg muscle badly out the back of Great Mis (nearly had to be rescued, as I couldn't walk, had to go crab like all the way back to the car. Must have looked very strange). We managed to find 11 of the boxes in one day, and hope to go back the soon, by helicopter next time. It's a very beautiful island, I'd recommend it to anyone.
'Rixy'
James&Jenny
Hiker
Hiker

Post by James&Jenny »

Hi Rixy!

That sounds like the crossing that we had! Force 7, nearly everyone on board was sick, and the crew were dishing out paper bags by the dozen! :( :( (Spent 2 hours being sick, 4 hours trying to sleep it off on the island, and then back on board for the journey home!)

However, the second time we went, it was by helicopter. What a contrast - fast, smooth and fantastic views! Going again next month - nedless to say that its going to be by helicopter!!!!!! :D

Hoping to find the other remaining boxes if we can!

J&J
moorland wizard
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by moorland wizard »

ah to many land lovers, just imagine going through a hurricane in force 12 with waves crashing over the bridge on the dark. I have some photos somewhere as there was lightning as well. best nights sleep ever